The BGA Professional Barista Training Level I implements the SCA's Coffee Skills Program module and grants the student with competency in basic coffee knowledge and Barista Skills. The distinction of having completed this course awards the student with a certificate of achievement upon evaluation of the skills developed by the Barista.
They will understand the key determining factors to the processes of grinding, brewing and presentation of coffee and be a competent partner for fundamental questions regarding the coffee quality. The Barista will understand how to brew basic coffee drinks on a manual, semi-automatic machine or implement appropriate settings on a fully-automatic coffee machine.
CSP11-1 & CSP12-1
The Barista will...
- know the origin of the coffee plant and its way into Europe
- know the characteristics of the coffee tree and coffee cherry
- know the two most popular coffee types botanically and knows their differences in aroma and taste as well as the caffeine content
- know the most important producing countries and their geographic locations
- know the influential factors of coffee in producing coffee
- be able to understand the key differences between Arabica and Robusta Beans
- be able to understand how to maintain fresh beans and proper storage to minimize deterioration
- be able to understand the basic differences between blends and single origins.
- be able to understand the basic different species and sub-varieties and its impact on flavors.
- be able to understand different processing methods and degassing periods of fresh coffee.
- be able to understand the importance of maintaining a hygienic and organized workspace.
- Analysis of key equipment’s needed for a complete workspace and how to maximize speed and efficiency.
- be able to analyze best layout for a proper workspace.
- be able to identify the parts of the main parts of the grinder.
- be able to understand how dosage affects shot times.
- will demonstrate good dosing techniques and calibration.
- be able to understand how to evenly distribute the dose in preparation to tamping.
- be able to understand how to tamp properly.
- be able to understand how increasing and decreasing dose affects body and flavor.
- be able to understand how to make micro-adjustments to the grinder.
- be able to understand the basic parts of an espresso machine.
- be able to understand the steps to preparing an espresso.
- be able to understand the basic sensory qualities of an under-extracted, over-extract shot and a good espresso.
- be able to understand the importance of freshness of milk and why it is important to use milk hygienically.
- be able to understand the techniques required to produce correct milk-textures.
- be able to understand correct milk temperatures and the pouring techniques to producing Cappuccinos and Lattes.
- be able to tell how different milk will produce foam differently.
- be able to learn how to ‘free pour’ a simple latte art pattern consistently.
- be able to learn the techniques of serving a range of espresso-based coffee.
- know which chinaware is suitable for which coffee
- be able to understand the basic foundation to safety and hygiene when using espresso machines and cleaning chemicals.
- be able to understand the steps to maintaining a clean workstation when preparing and serving espresso beverages.
- be able to understand the dangers of cross-contamination in an espresso workspace.
- be able to understand the proper techniques to cleaning the espresso machine and grinder.
- be able to understand the results of a badly maintained espresso machine and how to avoid and solve them.
- be able to understand the key problems of the grinder and who to refer these problems to.
- be able to understand the importance maintaining high standards of personal hygiene.
- be able to understand what is good communication skills and the definition of good customer service.
- be able to demonstrate a high standard of customer service when greeting customers and taking orders.
- be able to understand the cost involved in prepping and serving espresso beverages in a café setting.